New York is the second city in the United States for the spread of bedbugs: how to find them and what to do next
Bed bugs feed on your blood while you sleep and can be difficult to spot. According to a recent study, New York last year ranked second among all American cities in terms of bed bug detections. So New Yorkers should be on the lookout. Silive.
Bed bugs are hematophagous, which means that blood is their only food. And they are known for their rapid population growth, with females laying between one and five eggs each day.
How to spot bed bugs
Orkin has provided tips for homeowners and travelers on spotting bed bugs. Although difficult to detect, these pests are visible to the naked eye, experts say.
On the subject: Goosebumps: 12 creepy insects that live in New York
When checking into a hotel room, a full inspection should be carried out before unpacking.
1. Examine the hotel room for signs of infestation, including colored stains on the seams of the mattress, in upholstered furniture and behind the head of the bed.
2. Lift and inspect the mattress, springs, furniture, behind baseboards, paintings and even torn wallpaper.
3. Lift luggage away from bed and walls. It is safest to store your bags on a counter or in the bathroom.
4. Upon returning home, carefully inspect your luggage and store it away from the bed.
5. Immediately after returning, place all clothes in the dryer. Run the dryer for at least 30-45 minutes on the most powerful setting.
Bed bugs are 4 to 5 mm in size, dark brown in color, wingless, and have a flat, oval body.
Bed bug bite symptoms
Some people bitten by bed bugs develop itching, red welts, or swelling the day after the bite. However, remember that for some people, bites may not appear for several days or not at all. And many people do not react at all to a bed bug bite - many bites leave no marks and go completely unnoticed.
Cities where bed bugs live
Chicago ranks first on Orkin's list of the top 50 cities for bed bugs for the third year in a row. And Philadelphia is in third place.
The biggest jump this year has been in Los Angeles, which has moved up seven places to the top five, while Cleveland (4) and Raleigh (20) are up four places on the list.
This is a list of the cities where Orkin performed the most bed bug treatments from December 1, 2021 to November 30, 2022:
2. New York
4. Cleveland-Akron, Ohio
5. Los Angeles
10. Columbus Ohio
11. Champaign, Illinois
12. Grand Rapids, Michigan
17. Dallas - Fort Worth
18. Charleston, West Virginia
20. Flint MI
21. San Francisco
22. Norfolk, Va.
23. Greenville, South Carolina
24. St. Louis